I’m doing a webcast tomorrow morning about integrating information literacy into the First-Year Experience. I’ve done some presentations for faculty, and for some graduate classes on campus on this topic, but this is the first time I’ll be talking to (mostly) librarians about it.
Here’s the monster list of “further reading/exploration” links I’ve gathered along the way.
DATA AND STATISTICS
- The condition of US Libraries report (school libraries data) (PDF)
- National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience & students in transition
- Project Information literacy
- National Survey of Student Engagement
- CIRP Freshman Survey
- Higher Education Research Institute
RESEARCH – “WHAT WORKS”
- University 101 course – University of South Carolina
- Freshman Interest Groups – University of Oregon
- Oregon State University – U-Engage
- Common Reading Program – Northern Illinois University
- Go Big Read – University of Wisconsin
- September Scholars Bridge Program – Oregon State University
LIBRARY PROJECTS AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Embedded Librarians at Marshall University, FYS
- First-Year Papers publication at Trinity
- UIUC Library Orientation for Parents (LibGuide)
- WSU – Library Anxiety (LibGuide)
- The First-Year Experience & Academic Libraries: A Select, Annotated Bibliography compiled by the ACRL Instruction Section’s Teaching Methods Committee.
COLLEGE STUDENT DEVELOPMENT THEORY
- Bette LaSere Erickson, Calvin B Peters & Diane Weltner Strommer (2006). Teaching First-Year College Students. Jossey-Bass.
- Barbara Hofer & Abigail S. Moore (2010). The iConnected Parent. Simon & Schuster.
- Patricia M King & Karen S Kitchener (1994). Developing Reflective Judgement. Jossey-Bass
- George Kuh (2008). High-Impact Educational Practices: What they are, Who has Access to Them and Why they Matter. AAC&U Publications.
- Martina Malvasi, Catherine Rudowsky, and Jesus Valencia (2009). Library Rx: Measuring and Treating Library Anxiety. ACRL Publications.
- Anthony J Onwuegbuzie, Qun G Jiao & Sharon L Bostick (2004). Library Anxiety: Theory, Research and Applications. Scarecrow Press.
- Ernest T Pascarella & Patrick T Terenzini (2005). How College Affects Students: A Third Decade of Research. Jossey-Bass.
- William G. Perry (1970). Forms of Intellectual and Ethical Development in College; A Scheme. Holt, Rinehart and Winston.