- Barbara A. Blummer & Olga Kritskaya (2009). “Best practices for creating an online tutorial: A literature review.” Journal of Web Librarianship, 3:3, 199-216. Link (paywall)
- Barbara Means, et al. (September 2010). Evaluation of evidence-based practices in online learning: A meta-analysis and review of online learning studies. U.S. Department of Education Office.
- Marta Somoza-Fernandez & Ernest Abadal (March 2009). “Analysis of web-based tutorials created by academic libraries.” Journal of Academic Librarianship, 35:2. 126-131. Link (paywall)
- Shiao-Feng Su & Jane Kuo (July 2010). “Design and development of web-based information literacy tutorials.” Journal of Academic Librarianship, 36:4, 320-328. Link (paywall)
- Cara Bradley & Leeanne Romane (2008). “Changing the tire instead of reinventing the wheel: Customizing an existing information literacy tutorial.” College & Undergraduate Libraries, 14:4, 73+. Link (paywall)
- Anne-Marie Deitering & Hannah Gascho Rempel (2011). Share and share alike: Barriers and solutions to tutorial creation and management. Communications in Information Literacy, 5:2, 102-116.
- Cooperative Library Instruction Project
- ANTS Screencast Library
Motivation and learning
- Richard M. Ryan & Edward L. Deci (2000). “Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being.” American Psychologist, 55:1, 68-78. Link (paywall)
- DIY Tutorials – Info-fetishist (January 17, 2009)
- 100 Top Tutorials lists (craft tutorials). The Long Thread (blog).
- LibGuides: Collaborative Aspects (Archipelago)
RESOURCES & BEST PRACTICES
Open Educational Resources
- Casey Long & Jason Puckett (2011). LibGuides: Working Inside the Box. Presentation at Como XXIII (Athens, GA).
- Kathryn Yelinek, et al (July 2010). Using LibGuides for an information literacy tutorial. College & Research Libraries News, 71:7, 352-355.
- Lessons Learned: Getting the Most from LibGuides (2013). Panel Discussion at NCCCLRA 2013 (Wilmington, NC).
Usability & Instructional Design
- Usability Testing Best Practices (UIUC)
- ADDIE Instructional Design Process (Tufts)
- Usability Blog (University of Washington Libraries)
- Seven Common Usability Testing Mistakes (User Interface Engineering)
- Persona template & examples (SuperUserFriendly)
- Scenario template & examples (SuperUserFriendly)
- List of Cognitive Biases (ScienceDaily)
- 9 Biases in Usability Testing (Measuring Usability)
- Assessment-as-Learning (August 15, 2006) – Information Literacy Librarian blog
- Bloom’s Taxonomy (Cognitive domain) – Clemson
- Simpson’s Taxonomy (Psychomotor domain) – UConn
- Krathwohl’s Taxonomy (Affective domain) – Indiana
- Guide on the Side (University of Arizona Libraries)
- Comic Creator (comic generator)
- Poplet (mindmapping)
- Screenr (screen recorder) – Free license allows you to record 5-minute videos that are publicly available.
- Tiki-Toki (timeline generator)
- Toonlet (comic generator)
- Venn Diagram Tool (venn diagram generator)